4 May 2012

Laugh It Up Fuzzball

I'm in need of good laugh.  Not that life is really that dire but my current book  is heavy on the sexy times.  There is only so much panting and heaving a Dune Girl can take.    Okay,  I can take a lot, but my mother reads this blog and I would like to exhibit a little decorum.  Having already referenced one of the more outrageous SF romps, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy I am pressed to come up with more examples.  Having spent a couple hours on-line looking up other comedic SF I realize that I have some reading homework to do.  Looks like my summer is going to be hilarious.  That being said, I do have one author who tickles my funny bone.  

John Scalzi
Over the past couple of years I have been reading my way through Scalzi's library.  I have been extremely entertained by his ability to create exceptionally pleasing characters with believable plots.  Well, somewhat believable plots,  The Android's Dream is ridiculously redonk.  I laughed my ass off reading this political inspired satire.  I wish I could write like this guy.  The following blurb was cut from Scalzi's own blog about The Android's Dream. 
I think I love him.  

"10 Words or Less:  Man solves diplomatic crisis through action scenes and snappy dialogue.
Cover Blurbage: A human diplomat kills his alien counterpart.  Earth is on the verge of war with a vastly superior alien race.  A lone man races against time and a host of enemies to find the one object that can save our planet and our people from alien enslavement....
A sheep.
That's right, a sheep.  And if you think that's the most surprising thing about this book, wait until you read Chapter One.  Welcome to The Android's Dream."

Another fun Scalzi novel  is  Agent to the Stars.  If you are one to check out the links in these post you just discovered that the entire novel is available online and yours truly just made it available to you.    Now that I have lost most of my audience to that link I might as well just ramble on about my love for Scalzi.  Below is some of his recent tweets  from his Whatever blog.  Can I just add that his blog has been around since 1998, making it a granddaddy on the web and that it is awesome.   I wish in 1998 I had committed myself to blogging rather than teaching ESL and getting drunk in Japan(hi-five!).  How cool would it be now if I had 14 years of catalogued reviews to my name.   Anyway, here is an example of John's tweets.  Did I mention that I think I love him?

WHATWITTERS
  • Just heard from Athena. She's on her way home. I asked if they'd been attacked by bears or something. She said "define 'attack'." 1 hour ago
  • I'm not liking the fact that it's 8pm and my daughter's track team still isn't home from their meet.1 hour ago
  • For those wondering what the actual Carrington Event was:http://t.co/5rGcMhKf 3 hours ago
  • "The Carrington Event" is the name of my next band. 3 hours ago
  • On my menu bar, I labeled my Google Drive as "Google Docs". BECAUSE GOOGLE IS NOT THE BOSS OF ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reading, and commenting on this post! Thank the Maker, thanks you.